Thursday, August 13, 2015

Earl Stewart's Thought of the Day: DOGS ON BEACH DIGGING UP TURTLE NESTS!

The Toyota dealer, from Facebook:

"I was distressed to learn on this morning's news that Delray is considering allowing dogs to run free on the beach without a leash.

In Jupiter Inlet Colony where I live, the city commission recently changed the law to allow this very same thing. As a consequence I've seen many turtle nests that were dug up by dogs whose owners allowed to run free and not under their control. I suggested to our mayor, Dan Comerford, that we should restrict dogs to leashes on the beach, at least during the turtle season.

No one loves dogs more than I but, I also love sea turtles. Baby turtles have a hard enough time surviving with their natural enemies like crows and raccoons without having to contend with our pet dogs."