Sunday, July 30, 2017

Taking a ride in a “Seventy-year-old car driven by a 92-year-old man. An interesting combination.”


The quote above is by Mr. Charles Blackman, my Father. The video below will explain it all.

I’ll be out of town for a bit but will continue to provide updates, shuffle blog posts you may have missed, and some new stuff as well, for example, tell the story about my tour of the Brightline Station in West Palm Beach last Thursday, with photos, video, and more information. The tour was incredible.

The juxtaposition of the old, a 1941 Buick, with the new, Brightline, is a marvel of American ingenuity. To follow my exploits in Michigan this week check out my Facebook page. First the video and then more about this 1941 Buick Super Convertible Sedan below:



This car is a rare body style. Only a little over 400 were made. It is my Dad’s favorite year for pre-war Buicks styling-wise. He knew about this car for a long time and when it became available was able to add it to his collection. This car would have been owned by a law professor, doctor, or a banker in a small town.

The Century and Roadmaster models had the same body style and had longer wheelbases and bigger engines. Ten of these Supers show up on the Buick club registry. This is the first show it has been in since being restored. It is somewhat of an event for me since I am along with him this week. Such is life born from a tailpipe.

The car was actually a “barn find” back in the 60s and 70s, was with the previous owner for a long time who started the restoration, which my Dad was able to finish. The interior is lovely and it has an intoxicating smell of leather.

For all you car afficionados will share a lot more about this car and others too after I return. In the meantime check out my Facebook page.