Wednesday, November 9, 2016

“Trump wins or election is contested”

So here we are. On October 27th I took out a pen and paper and wrote down the words in the title. Got an envelope out, put the paper inside and sealed it.

I voted for Hillary Clinton. In fact, I never voted for a Republican to be President. Ever.

Any hope I had reporters would stop calling me about Mr. Trump are dashed now. A reporter from one of the most well-respected newspapers in the country drove down to Lake Worth and took me out to lunch. And this was after saying I couldn’t talk about my ten years working at Mar-a-Lago. But he came down anyway just because he wanted to know what it was like working for Mr. Trump.

I have a lot of great stories. Trust me. But I signed a stack of non-disclosure letters you would need a hand truck to move. I know this will be hard for many of you to believe, but in all the years I worked for Donald Trump I didn’t know if he was a Democrat or Republican. We didn’t talk national politics.

Anyone who has been around Mr. Trump for any period of time knows this: betting against him is not a good bet.

His rule for everyone was simple. Do the job and do it to his standards. Those standards were very, very high.

I would have preferred Hillary Clinton but her political instincts weren’t up to the challenge. She made the same mistake so many have made in the past. She miscalculated Mr. Trump. Her over-confidence was unsettling. She always looked like she had the Ten, Jack, Queen, King, and just got dealt the Ace.

Anyhow, congratulations President-elect Donald Trump. You fought hard and you won. A lot of people were surprised last night. But I wasn’t one of them.