Sunday, June 28, 2015

State Senator Jeff Clemens' remarks on receiving the 2015 Compass Leadership Award:

"I want to thank the members of the Compass team that chose to bestow upon me the 2015 Compass Leadership Award last night. It was frustrating to have it happen in the one year I was not be able to be there, due to a trip planned 7 months ago. I apologize I couldn't celebrate with all of my friends. But from raising the rainbow flag at City Hall in 2007, to pushing for and sealing the deal to bring Compass to Lake Worth in 2008, to establishing transgender as a protected class, to filing bills to stop so-called "reparative therapy," to helping kill this year's absurd transgender bathroom bill, while assisting the elimination of the statutory ban on gay adoption, it has been a wonderful decade of fighting for equality.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for this honor."

The video below is from March of 2009; then-Mayor Clemens' remarks at the grand opening of Compass Gay and Lesbian Community Center in Lake Worth.