Monday, July 28, 2008

Drama in Real Life - Lake Worth Utilities Customer Service

This is a REAL chronological e-mail account of a situation experienced by a Lake Worth resident of seven years. The residents' name has been changed to protect their privacy. It's best to re-read this a couple of times and you will get a sense of the us versus them mentality at your local utility customer service found in the City Hall Annex.

Sent: Wed 7/23/2008 1:05 PM
To: Jo-Ann Golden
Subject: utilities

Dear Mrs. Golden,
I have called you and emailed you. The reason I am sending this is something happened last Friday. On Thursday someone from Lake worth utilities came to shut off the electric. My husband called and talked to Sheila she said they do not have access to the yard. We have a dog we told them numerous times someone is always there just knock on the door we will bring the dog in. Any way she called back and left a message to come in . I was going to do that anyway because we were not sure if they received our last payment. Well in the morning we went and I spoke with Sheila and explained that I will get my check this morning and then my husband will bring back the payment. The girl gave me the total for 810.00. I still felt that was wrong but okay no problem. As I am cashing my check my husband called me and said they are here to cut the line. So my husband asked the guy can you give me about 15 minutes my wife is on the way. ( I started work at 930 when he cut it the time was about 1030) Now my husband gets the $ and goes and pays now we owe 1100.00. they will not accept the800.00 and bill me the rest. So he calls me back. Now I leave work and go to the utilities. The girl leaves her desk and Daisey comes she cannot explain how we owe so much. My late bill was 575.00 we all agree. My payment for aug was 313.00 due Aug 14. Now the bill is 1200.00 because I tampered with the water. How do you turn water off of a home owner with two elderly people and 4 kids that is inhumane. Sheila would not talk to me Daisy could not explain why I was supposed to pay more than 575.00. So my check was 807.00. So how am I supposed to pay 400.00 extra dollars because they turned me off. That was not right. I also asked for a form for my father in-law because he has a respirator they (daisy and Sheila) said I have to get it sent in the mail.
I had to buy a generator and spend the electric money just because these two women. On Saturday I got my new bill and the total due is 923.00. So can you explain why my family was treated this way I am not the only person after last night I could smell fumes from the machine so we shut it off. I am very upset that I have not gotten any responses from neither you nor Jeff when he knows me and my family.
Thank You,
Lake Worth Resident of Seven Years

Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:16 PM
Cc: Thomas Rutherford
Subject: RE: utilities

Dear Mrs. Lake Worth Resident of Seven Years,
I understand the hardship caused by such a high bill, and yet I understand that you have spoken to Mr. Rutherford at Customer Service and that he explained why the bill was so high. We all have the responsibility to pay our bills on time, or try to make an arrangement before your payment is due. There also are some agencies that will help. One of these is Community Action. But, what I am most concerned about is that you say a member of your household is on a respirator. If this is the case you need to contact Tom Rutherford. The Utility Department does not turn power off if they are aware than someone in the household is on a respirator.

I am sorry for this late reply. I do not remember getting a previous e-mail from you and if you sent one I apologize for not responding. Again, please let Customer Service know that you would like to register someone in your household uses a respirator.

Please call if you need further assistance: 561 459-7291.

Sincerely,
Commissioner Jo-Ann Golden
District 3
City of Lake Worth

Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 3:00 PM
To: Thomas Rutherford
Subject: utilities

Dear Mr. Rutherford,

Last Thursday we were told we needed to pay our bill on Friday. My husband spoke to Sheila and she said they needed access to the yard. He told her as I have told the customer service that someone is always home at our house just knock on the front door and we will bring the dog in. At 8:00 on Friday I went in to get the exact amount we owe. She wrote down810.00. In the back ground Daisy was telling her that it was 923.00. Fine I told her that I had to go to work at 930 I have to get my check and cash it and my husband will bring back the money. Fine my boss got to work at 1030 I got my check and went to cash it. As I am at the bank my husband called because a man was there to cut the electric and my husband told him we were just in the office she is on her way to pay. He said he did not care he was cutting it anyway. My husband went in to the office and they would not accept the 800.00 now they told him it was 1100.00. So my husband came home and called me back. I left work to go back in there and now my total is 1232.00. The lady at the counter left Daisy came and sat down. I asked her to check if they had received my last payment on 6-25 she said yes we agreed my past due was 575.00. Everything still did not add up because my new bill was not due until 8-14. My electric should not have been shut off I told them we would pay and I always do. I was not told any specific time but I was cut at about 10;30. I also asked for a respirator paper I was told it would have to be sent in the mail certified that was last Friday and still I did not receive anything. I have called in and had other people call in to ask the question they were told as I was just come in the office and show your id to get a respirator paper.

On Saturday I received my bill it is923.00 Due in August which did confirm my past due amount. What I don’t understand why I was cut after coming in and making an arrangement and how I was treated. I am working with some agencies and I need to know my total amount. Can you please contact me so I can give the agency the amount.

Thank You,

Lake Worth Resident of Seven Years

Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 4:20 PM
Subject: RE: utilities

Lake Worth Resident of Seven Years,

At this point, in accordance with the policy requirements of City Resolution 18-2008, you need to pay the full outstanding bill amount of $934.28, plus a $200 meter tampering fee, plus a $140 fee to re-connect the service at the pole. Total amount required for reconnection of service = $1,274.28. This amount must be paid in full prior to restoration of service.

Thanks – Tom Rutherford