Friday, July 28, 2006

Where am I? Still in Lake Worth, I think!


Wow. We made it through the week - what with the negotiations on the beach (which finished a day early - thank you very much), the special City Commission meeting regarding the City's negotiating team recommendation and then the Master Plan meeting - the last two over-lapping each other last night.

I'll be reviewing the week in more detail, but for know I want to tell you a little story about Delta airlines and Orbitz. This all transpired this morning.

If things had gone as planned, I would be in western Massachusetts with my father right now. My flight to Boston was scheduled to leave PBIA around 11:30 a.m. and a cab ride around 10 or so seemed about right. But, there was something I couldn't shake regarding my flight arrangements. So, I went to Orbitz (how I bought the ticket) and they said that I was leaving SATURDAY - not FRIDAY. Now even in my foggy state of mind I could figure out something was wrong. I had e-mailed myself the itinerary, with a copy to my Dad and it said Friday - that was only from this past Wednesday. Someone had changed my reservations between then and this morning.

I won't bore you with all the gory details, but between Orbitz (who said they notified me by e-mail, which they didn't) and Delta (who cancelled the flight and re-booked me on a 6 a.m. Saturday morning flight - they even had me "checked-in" and suggested I go to the airport to change my flight if I wanted), we finally got to the point where I am now leaving around noon on Saturday. This is unfortunate in that I will have less time with my father, but I can still make my class (Urban Housing - Mixed Use Development) that begins on Monday. It did give me some time to catch up on things today that would've had to wait until I got back, so it wasn't a total loss.

By the way, Delta did call me about an hour and a half before my originally scheduled flight and told me it was cancelled. Which would have been about the time that I was in the cab heading for the airport ("My bags are packed, they're ready to go, the taxi's waiting, he's blowing his horn"). No offer to compensate, etc. Just beware and check many times before you plan on taking a flight, especially with Delta. I hear that they are canceling flights when they are not full and putting you on the next available flight (like 6 a.m. on a Saturday) to ensure that they have a full plane. Saves on gas expense, I guess.

Anyway, more on what happened Lake Worth-wise once I have some quiet time up north.

Oh, the Commission did move on the beach with Greater Bay - more on that later too.

Just a few words:
Trust, but verify. - Ronald Reagan

Never thought I'd be quoting him.

"Political advertisement paid for and approved by Wes Blackman for Commissioner – District #3"