Saturday, July 12, 2014

Point of View: Give neighbors, and dogs, a break from fireworks | www.mypalmbeachpost.com

Venus, my she rest in peace, had issues about thunder and fireworks. When she was around, if she heard thunder at all, even if it was 20 miles away, she would refuse to go outside. If we were on a walk and she heard thunder, she would immediately turn around and head for home, wherever we happened to be. There was no stopping here. I had Dish TV at the time and the signal for her to go under the bed was when the satellite reception was lost due to passing, dark clouds. She also didn't like fireworks. With April and Mars, my current brood, they don't seem as bothered. Mars could care less. April does tend to come to me for comfort during storms. This opinion of a Wellington resident asks for his neighbor's consideration during Fourth of July celebrations and tells them to go to regular municipal fireworks, instead of participating in the backyard kind. Click title for link. Here is some of what he says:
Each year, I mean to write this letter to the editor in the hope it will be seen by others and taken to heart.
July Fourth is not a happy day in my household. You see, I share my home with three rescue dogs who cower and shake at the sound of fireworks. They won’t go out to relieve themselves, and they are visibly terrified by the crackles and booms of the surrounding cacophony.
[later...]
My neighbors — good people, most of them — are out until past 11 p.m. gleefully disturbing the peace with no consideration or concern for those who may be dealing with illness, trying to sleep, or just enjoying a good book or television show. Because July Fourth seems to give everyone a free pass to be inconsiderate for a night the cops don’t care either.
Well, I do care, and I’d bet that there are many like me who suffer through this annual insult feeling helpless and frustrated. It’s not your right to keep me and my family awake listening to your illegally purchased cherry bombs blasting until midnight and beyond.