Thursday, December 12, 2013

Festivus For The Rest Of Us! Florida Atheist Successfully Puts Up Beer Can Pole Display

Associated Press story on the Festivus pole at the State Capitol - click title for link. From the end of the article:
At the Florida Capitol last week, several dozen people gathered for the Nativity celebration, including a children's choir. The only people there for the Festivus pole installation were media and Pam Olsen, who organized the Nativity scene.
"I believe in prayer and you know what? I've been praying for you. I mean that sincerely, Chaz," Olsen said. "As a Christian, I have the Nativity because it's Christ in Christmas. And you have the right to have the beer cans here."
Stevens laughed. A theological discussion followed, with Olsen talking about her faith and Stevens saying Jesus might as well be Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.
"You know what I'm praying for next year? I'm going to pray that they get rid of that thing," Stevens said, gesturing to the manger scene.