Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A while ago...

I posted about my visit to Cain's Barber Shop and my chat with Malcolm Cain while he cut my hair - what's left of it anyway.  Someone left a message last night that I thought would be good to share separately here this morning, since it would probably go unseen otherwise. It is from "Ed."
In 1971, at 11 years old, my family and I moved to Lake Worth and I soon found my young self in Mr. Cain's barber chair. He cut my hair throughout those formative years, until my graduation from Lake Worth High in '78. My departure for the Army brought those haircuts to an abrupt end - but not quite, as I still paid him a visit every time I came back on leave for the next 23 years. My advice to youngsters today is to go there and make sure there are a few people customers ahead of you so you can pick up useful tidbits from Mr. Cain as he talks with the customers. You'll learn what's going on in the Pony Leagues, pick up some golf tips, and even hear that TV is not all that bad. Most of all, however, what you'll carry away with you is his optimistic attitude. He epitomizes what I consider "Old Lake Worth" - the Lake Worth of my youth. 
Unfortunately, Mr. Cain's wife of many years died recently. The Mayor mentioned it before a City Commission meeting a few weeks ago. When you are downtown, stop in and say "Hi" to Mr. Cain and, by all means, leave his shop looking spiffy after he gives you a trim.