Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Today's Lake Worth Adventure - A happy story!

For a while now, we have been noticing water bubbling up along my southern property line.  We had already checked with the neighboring property to see if it was part of their sprinkler system that was leaking - turned out not to be.  I checked my property survey and it did show a 5 foot utility easement that straddled the property line.  I thought that it could be part of an old water line.  The water feed to the house comes off Pennsylvania Avenue to the west.

Today, while walking Mars, I looked into the backyard and lo and behold I saw what looked like a sprinkler head going off by the fence.   See below:

So, I called water utilities.  Someone answered right away.  I told them my address and what was happening and they said that it was probably an old water line and that this happens quite often.  I asked if they would have to remove the fence or anything major and he answered that most times that was not the case.  He asked if I was home or going to be home to let someone in the backyard - I said yes.  He said that they would send someone out in 10 minutes.
Ten minutes later, two trucks showed up.  The first guy there looked over the situation, stuck his hand down into the ground where the leak was coming from and said that it was a 2" line that had broken.  It turns out they were able to do all the work all by hand and within about an hour, they left having fixed the leak.  I went in the backyard and you couldn't even tell they had been there.  So, the moral to the story is that if you notice something like this, do not be afraid to call it in.  The city has professional people that can respond quickly and get the job done.

Thank you City of Lake Worth!