Monday, May 14, 2012

Who knew?

Russ' question about who the architect of my house was led me to do some Internet sleuthing.  I remember trying to chase down information before regarding the architect in the title block - soon after I bought the house, but could find nothing.  I just thought he was a forgotten Miami architect that drew post WW II house designs.

Well, I stumbled on to the City of Miami Beach designation report for their Ocean Beach historic district.  For those of you that know Miami Beach, it is the area generally south of the causeway and home of Joe's Stone Crabs.  The architect indicated on the set of plans that I have is Carlos B. Schoeppl, who is identified in their report as one of the "master architects" of the district.

So, my house may have a bit of a pedigree, but to what degree is the question due to the differences between the plan and the actual construction of the house.  All of these factors for properties within the College Park, and other historic districts, should be considered when the districts are re-surveyed.  Which is being planned out - probably taking place years hence.  Right now, my house is considered "non-contributing" based on the survey done in 1998 - it was not yet 50 years old at that point in time - which is usually the threshold for historic significance.  Nothing was noted regarding its architect and the wrong built date is given in the survey.

Click here for more information on Carlos B. Schoeppl - thanks Russ!

Anyway, I hope you find this interesting and thanks for the indulgence.