Saturday, February 4, 2012

Today, I succumbed...

...and fed the beast that is the new Walmart on 10th Avenue North.  This is one that is conveniently just over the line in the neighboring municipality of Palm Springs - contributing to their tax base and their utility funds - as well as those of FPL.  It was a busy day there; I just went to pick-up some cleaning supplies.  But, while I was there, I checked to see whether or not there were any bike racks.  The sea of asphalt that is their parking lot clearly caters to the automobile as the principal means of transportation.  However, I could find NO bike parking facilities.  In fact, right before I took this picture, I saw two bikes that were locked together on a fire hydrant!  I think the fire department would have something to say about that.  I doubled back around to see if the bikes were still there and when I got back to where they were, they had left.  It's not as if people were not getting there by bike - besides those two, I saw at least five more here and there around the parking lot and the main entrance.  Alas.  I may call my buddies in Palm Springs on Monday and see what's up about why they didn't require bike racks.