Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A venture of one of my neighbors...Turning hobbies to profit!

I'm an avid reader, and have accumulated hundreds of books over the years. 
 
To keep in shape, I ride my bicycle at least 10-miles per day, usually to downtown Lake Worth and then over to the beach and back. My bike is outfitted with a large bin on the back to carry things.
 
In a moment of inspiration, I made some signs to put on the bike, loaded the bin with about 25 unwanted books, and the BOOKCYCLE was born.  
 
Now everywhere that I go on my bicycle, I'm a mobile used book store. 
 
The response has been unexpected and fun.  Every time that I go to the beach, tourists ask to have their pictures taken with me and myBOOKCYCLE.  The regulars at the beach appreciate having a nice little selection of good books to read there - and I sell them for only $1.00!  Best of all, my BOOKCYCLE attracts interesting, literate people, which leads to some great conversations. Several people have asked for specific books and authors, so I set up a website, where people can contact me for special requests and local deliveries: 
 
BOOKCYCLE Website
 
I've already sold nearly all of my old paperback books, so today, I actually had to buy some more to have stock on hand.  I buy them for only 50 cents, sell them for $1.00, and still make a little profit while I'm getting my daily excercise.
 
The local Barnes & Noble store is even considering using me and my BOOKCYCLE to do some direct marketing at the beach and local events.
 
Have fun while making a profit - American capitalism at work, 
Timothy Lunney