Monday, August 2, 2010

What I did on my summer vacation - Part Two

One of the field trips I made during the travels outside of Lake Worth - yes, a world exists outside the city's boundaries - was to Columbus, Indiana. It's a medium-sized city, southeast of Indianapolis, of about 40,000 that has taken hold of modern architecture and made it its signature.  Can you say "branding?"

A former planner colleague of mine and I spent part of a late afternoon there wandering around the downtown and checking it out.  I've included a slide show of what we saw, but I recommend that you take a look at some of these YouTube videos too that show the extent of modern architecture in the city and the importance the community gives to this identity.

Oh, and if you happen to go there for a visit, I would highly recommend this place:
The location has a rich history which is outlined on its extensive menu.  Currently owned by Powerhouse Brewery, it features micro- brews and other beers that are not mass-marketed.  When I went there (twice, the other time was with my father on the way back from somewhere), I had the Ahi  Tuna Tacos.  There is all kinds of food on the menu and is known for having the best tenderloin.  It's one block east of Washington, the main street through the downtown.  My dad had the mushroom burger, which he enjoyed as well.