Thursday, April 1, 2010

Boy, did I get a surprise today!

I happened to be sitting in my courtyard, taking some sun - which has been rare the past few months.  It must have been a little past 2 p.m. or so.  In the midst of reading and catching up opening mail and stuff, I look up and two people were heading towards me on their bicycles.  I greeted them warmly and asked them to sit down so that we can chat.  I went in the house and got a pitcher of lemonade out of the fridge, distributed ice-filled glasses and we settled in to talk.  Apparently that was their purpose for the visit.

They both started out by saying that they had seen the light and that they, up until now, misunderstood where I was coming from.  They said they had really come to respect my insight and that both of them get a lot out of reading the blog.  I sat there with my mouth open, half rubbing my eyes in disbelief.  They said that they wish they could have the last two elections that I was in back -- that they really understand what I would bring to the Commission.  The one with a basket on her bike said that she had come to respect my planning and historic preservation knowledge.  She also apologized for over-stepping her bounds about her Census duties.  The other one complimented me on pointing out all the hypocrisies and that, through me pointing them out, she  has become a better person and more consistent in her decision making.

I thanked them for all their compliments and I told them that we need to work together to make Lake Worth a better place to live - that we could do it if we get others to join with us.  There is so much that we have in common.

They stayed about 40 minutes.  The rest of the time we talked about our loves, life's passions, our favorite foods and Mars and Venus came out and we played with them too. At the end, we all hugged and sang some choruses of "Michael Row the Boat Ashore."  They then mounted their bikes, all of us wiping tears from our eyes and we waved and waved and waved until our arms hurt and we couldn't see each other anymore.

I went back in the house, shaking my head and immediately took a nap - as laying down of swords takes a lot out of a person.

Any guess who they were?