Thursday, November 5, 2009

Political Signs

I see that most people with signs in their yards have already taken them up. I think I've gathered most of them, but if there are some that I have missed, let me know and I will drop by and pick them up. Or, if you have one and don't know what to do with it, you can drop it off at my house: 241 Columbia Drive - you can put them in the courtyard on the way to the front door and I will take care of the rest.

Now, about signs in general - my opponent, the day before the election, lined Dixie Hwy with political signs and attached them to trees and poles - anything- with "zip-ties." These were clearly in the public right-of-way, which is not allowed. What it did allow is free publicity for her the day of and the day before the election - save the cost of the sign. This is the same Commissioner that has a problem with businesses using A-frame signs on the sidewalk to promote their business in-doors.

Once the new Commission is in place after the run-off in the Mayor's race, can we draw up new standards and regulations for political campaigns? I'd like to see political signs eliminated period, but I don't know if that is realistic given First Amendment rights, etc. Perhaps this can be done at the same time that the Commission finally gets around to working on a comprehensive ethics ordinance.