Sunday, September 6, 2009

Truth still matters...

As I make my trip down the campaign trail, I am hearing how my opposition is misrepresenting me. It's good when people tell me these things since I am able to clarify where I stand on the issues and leave them to judge the intent of the person or persons that gave them misinformation. There are two that I heard about today that I will address here:
  1. I am not against immigration and I am not against immigrants. Consistent with my position in the last campaign, I am for a labor center. Our country is made richer by the contributions of people from all cultures. The Federal government has abdicated its role in metering immigration and communities have to find ways to lead immigrants towards productive and safe futures in our society. One of my main platform planks is that we need to be consistent in our decision making process - regardless of the issue at hand. Zoning and building rules were overlooked in the establishment of our labor center - while we make others jump through endless hurdles when they attempt to open a business in Lake Worth. Likewise, when a claim is made that the Resource Center serves everyone in the city, then it should REALLY serve everyone in the city. The main reason for my impromptu visit to the Resource Center was to determine if that was the case - I am still not totally convinced. By the admission of the Resource Center's director and sitting City Commissioners, the building is becoming more and more inadequate to serve its intended function. Conflicts are erupting between the building's traditional users - shuffleboarders - and users of the center. We need to have the freedom to critically think and ask if this indeed is the right place for this sort of use. To have my stance on the issue interpreted as being against immigrants is a gross misrepresentation. If anything, I want the Resource Center to better serve ALL of the city's residents and I want it in a place that makes sense for its operation - and the city as a whole.
  2. Parking at the beach. It's horrible that the result of the $5 million grant will just facilitate additional paving at the beach - more and darker asphalt with different stripes and jeopardizing Lake Worth resident decal permit holders does not seem an acceptable solution. Although I acknowledged that it would be politically unacceptable and impractical, I offered a "green option" of parking downtown in a parking garage and busing people to the beach - opening up tons of green space there. Other Commissioners, including Commissioner Golden, talked about this idea as an option. We need to have the freedom to discuss all ideas and evaluate them against each other. I want to make it clear: I am upset about the amount of asphalt at the beach and we need to find ways to reduce paving. Decked parking at the beach is an option worth examining - as are all ideas that would demonstrate Lake Worth is doing all it can to be a leader in green redevelopment - another part of my campaign platform.
Come to think of it, I wonder what my opponent's campaign platform is. ??
Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Wes Blackman for City Commissioner District #3