Thursday, January 8, 2009

Letter just received by e-mail: "Comm. McCarty is sad to announce her resignation from the County Commission."

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

As the result of wrongdoing brought to my attention by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida, I will be resigning my position on the Palm Beach County Commission effective at the close of business, January 8, 2009.

Throughout my 18 years as a County Commissioner, I have worked diligently on behalf of the community that I love. I have always believed that public officials should be held to a high ethical standard and I failed in this regard. Within the next week I expect to plead guilty to honest services fraud.

As both a public official and moral person, I had an ethical responsibility to perform my duties free from any violation of law or ethics. Although I never set out to commit any violation or law, I have.

On multiple occasions, I failed to disclose free and discounted hotel rooms that had been provided to me by a company that had business with Palm Beach County. I also failed to recuse myself on bond issues that would benefit the companies that employed my husband. At the time, I rationalized these actions by interpreting their impact in a manner most favorable to me and not that most favorable to the community I was elected to serve. These were inexcusable and, in fact, criminal acts—something for which I should be prosecuted and for which I bear full responsibility.

I am sickened by the fact that my acts will result in continued scrutiny of the Palm Beach County Commission. Being aware of the challenges faced by the Commission following the prosecution of Ray Liberti, Jim Exline, Tony Masilotti and Warren Newell, I am disgusted with myself for placing the Commission that I respect so much in an untenable situation.

It is my sincere hope that by accepting responsibility for my actions and not making excuses, I will minimize the damage that my prosecution will inflict upon Palm Beach County.

I expect to be ordered to serve a significant term of incarceration as a result of my voluntary plea. As frightening as this reality might be, I recognize it as a consequence of my actions. It is my sincere desire to hopefully receive the forgiveness of each County Commissioner and of the community. I realize that this forgiveness will be earned by deed and not word. Please keep both my family and me in your thoughts and prayers as we work through the challenges I have brought down upon us.