Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Joel Burns Elected to Fort Worth, Texas City Council

(This was one of my classmates during the Victory Fund training in Houston in 2006. He won his race in a run-off against an opponent that made his sexuality an issue.
This is an e-mail announcing his swearing in. Congratulations Joel!)


It's official! This afternoon, I was sworn-in as the Fort Worth City Councilman for District 9 by Justice John Hill in a small ceremony at home surrounded by a small group of family and friends.

I can't think of a better way to start the New Year.

Since my special election run-off victory on December 18th, I have been meeting daily with constituents, city leaders and city staff in preparation to take office. When former Councilwoman Wendy Davis called me this morning to inform we that she is now working full time on her State Senate campaign, thus creating a vacancy for our district, I didn't want a day to go by that our district was not represented.

Though I officially took office today, my first Council meeting will be Tuesday, January 8th at 7 p.m., at which time a traditional ceremonial swearing-in will occur. I invite all of you join me in the City Council chambers for this occasion Tuesday.

As I look back on the amazing experience this campaign has been – from my announcement on August 10th through today's swearing-in – I want to once again thank the more than 130 of you who gave of your volunteer time, and the more than 500 people – from around the District and around the country – who made donations large and small; donations that allowed me to communicate with voters. We ran the strongest campaign of any first-time candidate in the recent memory in Fort Worth.

Thank you to everyone involved in our campaign victory and for helping to make history here in Fort Worth.

And to everyone in District 9, I say as I did as the results came in December 18th: Thank you for your trust in me. I promise to honor it. Thank you for commitment to me. I promise to return it.

I am honored and truly blessed to serve District 9 and am ready to get to work for our great city and the neighborhoods I represent.

Joel