Saturday, February 24, 2007

Sunset Ridge - 17th Avenue North Clean-up

Wow! What a busy day. It started around 8:30 this morning when I gathered some equipment to help the nice Sunset Ridge folks. Borrowing a bucket and a "picker-upper" from the Mad Hatter, along with some garbage bags - thanks Broward and Kelley, I then walked to the Regency Party Rental parking lot, south of the 17th Avenue North right-of-way. That's where I met up with the group from the neighborhood.

I had read about the venture yesterday on Lake Worth Talk.com and the neighborhood planned a clean-up of 17th Avenue North from Dixie Hwy to D St. So, the group pictured below started out and worked our way west. Lots of glass, plastic, bits of flags from the big parking lot, Styrofoam, cardboard and assorted debris (some from the hurricanes) were all gathered into trash bags and taken away. Most of the effort was spent on the area by the FEC railroad tracks. The picture below was taken when all was said and done - You can see me in the back row.


The officers of the Sunset Ridge Neighborhood Association appear in the above photo. From left to right: President, Chris Erhard; Treasurer, Barbara Ringhiser; Secretary, Christine Velez; and Vice-President, Ryan Oblander.
Thanks for the great commitment you have to your neighborhood and City - glad that I could lend a helping hand!
After that, I grabbed my dogs and headed down to the Street Painting Festival. Worked the crowd and spent much of the middle part of the day in our downtown. I talked to a lot of merchants and residents. Such great weather contributed to what will probably be a record crowd. I'll go back tomorrow and concentrate more on the art being created and will share some pictures here.
Then, off I went to the ALF-CIO endorsement screening up in Riviera Beach. I guess I just missed Retha Lowe, but got to chat a while with Mayoral candidate Mary Lindsey while we waited our turn. After a bit, Jo Ann Golden appeared and soon after Mayoral candidate Jeff Clemens showed. Then, it was back home to dust off, rest, etc.
We'll be back at it tomorrow. Remember, this week we have the presentation by Warren Newell at the Golfcourse Clubhouse, the Parrot Cove candidate forum on Tuesday and then the College Park candidate forum on Thursday.
"Political advertisement paid for and approved by Wes Blackman for Commissioner – District #3"