Monday, October 6, 2014

Yours truly's ears are burning...

This is the source meaning of that phrase:
Ears are burning, one's - one is being talked about. A tingling or burning sensation in the ears supposedly means that a person is being discussed by others. The origin of this belief goes back to Roman times when augurs (see Under the auspices of) paid particular attention to such signs. Pliny wrote: 'It is acknowledged that the absent feel a presentiment of remarks about themselves by the ringing of their ears' (Naturalis Historia, AD 77). The ancient belief that the left signifies evil and the right good applies here also. Both Plautus and Pliny held that if a person's right ear burns then he is being praised, but a burning left ear indicates that he is the subject of evil intent. English literature, from Chaucer to Dickens, abounds with references to burning ears.
According to ancient belief, other unexpected bodily twitches and sensations also warn of events to come, among them the eye and the thumb. A flickering right eye, for instance, indicates that a friend will visit or that something longed for will soon be seen, and a pricking in one's left thumb warns of an evil event.
There is a thread on Robert Waples' own Facebook page of which others have made me aware. You see, Mr. Waples has chosen to block me on Facebook, so I can see nothing he posts and can see nothing on his page. There has been no direct communication from Mr. Waples about any actions which are being attributed to me that are contributing to his angst. Likewise, there has been no communication between his stablemates Mrs. McGiveron or Ms. Anderson. Apparently, such grievance stems from this post from September 18th on this blog.

Instead of contacting me with correct information, if indeed any information I posted was incorrect, Mr. Waples has chosen to hide behind a cyberwall and make accusations about my behavior about which I cannot reply to since I am unable to see them. Others have sent incremental versions of what is being said and it boils down to the nonsensical. Which is the likely reason that the accuser does not want to face the accused.

It also gives an opportunity, apparently, for Mrs. McGiveron to voice her sentiments about my right to freedom of speech and general disgust about how the city is being run. Here is a sample:
So, how can the accused change behavior if he knows not that of which he is accused? And, to be clear, any of my writings and postings here are from a private citizen, are independently my own and not representative of any other group or affiliation.

I suggest that should anyone have a problem in which I may have a part in solving that problem, it is best to contact me directly and not talk about it incessantly out of sight of the implicated.