Sunday, December 2, 2012

A little bit about yesterday...

I must say it was a lot of fun at the "Art & Wine at the Eco" event.  Here are some pictures taken during the time that we were there.  This was the third year that I attempted to dress up as the Cat-in-the-Hat, as best as I could, and do an interpretive reading of How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss.  It was part of the afternoon program that included a children's choir from Sacred Heart, a reading by John Cutrone of the Jaffe Center for Book Arts.  Later on in the afternoon, John Szerdi, architect of the Eco Centre building - and new City Commissioner - led a tour through the building.  The event concluded with a wine tasting in the evening.
 A few strange things happened on my way to the Eco Centre building.  Right across the street, in the parking area for 1000 Lake Avenue (where the 9 Arches mural project is going on) there seemed to be some sort of "sale" going on, although it was unclear if anything was really for sale or not.  Above is a "blow up" mannequin, if that's what you want to call her.  She was directing people to this parking area being used for this impromptu flea market of sorts.  I couldn't pass up the photo opportunity.  She was a person of few words, but if you click on the picture you might be able to see a Seventh Day Adventist Tract in her right hand.  She was tied to the Foxtail Palm tree behind her.  Who knows?  She might still be welcoming people to our downtown today so you may want to check it out.
 Of the items distributed through the parking area, of all things, was a slightly soiled Grinch doll.  Overwhelmed by the serendipity of the Cat-in-the-Hat meeting the Grinch, the person running this "sale" gave the doll to me as a gift and I was able to use it as a prop during my appearance.  I will try to wash it today to see if some of the stains can come out.
 Here I am - definitely standing out in the crowd - checking out the art and artists that were assembled in the biolarium of the EcoCentre.


 Here I am with AnnaMaria Windisch-Hunt picking out tickets for the children's raffle after my reading.

It was a fun afternoon and the building turned out to be a great venue for it!