Monday, April 18, 2011

More commentary on naming the CRA arts program "L-Dub"...

Hola Joan,

Hope you enjoyed your weekend.  Had I been at the meeting where this was discussed I would have offered public comment for information purposes to the Board.  The term isn't just native to Florida, when it comes to describing an illegal narcotic.  In the 1970's, while growing up in the Lower East Side (Alphabet CIty) of New York, I heard the expression being used as a pseudonym for $20.00 bags of powder cocaine before crack emerged on the scene.  in the early 1980's was when I first heard the expression l-dub being used by the crack dealers and their customers that polluted many of the corners of my old neighborhood.  I will be candid and tell you I cringed a bit when I heard a program as wonderful as this one was christened with the very unattractive and dubiously tainted slang phrase.  I have, and still am, a strong supporter of the CRA and that is why I felt comfortable enough to send this email secure in the knowledge that it will not be misinterpreted as any sort of personal attack because that would NEVER be my intention.  I will close by stating my hopes that the CRA would reconsider this decision.

Respectfully,
Mark A. Parrilla