Saturday, October 16, 2010

From my beach visit yesterday...

I parked in the upper lot, walked to the parking ticket dispenser - the good news is that it was working, sort of.  It is now $1.25/hour to park at the beach.  I looked at my cellphone for the exact time that I put in my 5 quarters.  It was high noon.  When I got my ticket, the time printed on it after which it expired was 12:52 p.m. - eight minutes short of an hour.  That is almost half a cent a minute more than the published rate.  I happened to take a lot more time at Benny's than I thought and got back to the car around 1:30 p.m. - there was no ticket.  Effectively, this was almost a cent less a minute of the actual rate. Is there any enforcement?  How often is this repeated day after day? How much revenue is lost?  Attended parking would collect 100% of the parking fees and would be self-enforcing.  Why is this consistently discounted as a way to collect parking money from the beach?  Maybe just impose it for the upper lot?