Sunday, September 7, 2008

Up-Date as of 9/5 - 431 N. L. Street


Latest correspondence from neighbor:
Good Morning Wes:

Just read the most recent comments on 431 N. L st.  Attached is a photo taken today around 9:30 am of the front of the building.  As you can see people are still sleeping right out in front.  Last night while I was taking my daughter back to her mothers there were two woman and the person who sleeps in front of 431 hanging out on the corner of 5th and L, they appeared to be soliciting "business".  The condition of the property directly south of 431 N L is appalling and the "traffic" there goes on day and night.  The occupants have moved their derelict pickup truck back into the ally after there have been several red stickers placed on it by the city.
On a side note the sober house that is directly to my south is a very nicely maintained property.  I am friends with the owner of the property, the pastor that runs it as well as most of its occupants. It is well run, and mostly drama free. It's quite interesting living between a crack house and a sober house!  I wish the police would crack down on the people abusing this fine neighborhood and make it the great place to live it could be.

Keep the faith!
My response:
Thanks for the update Tom.  Have you or any of your neighbors contacted the Police department directly about the problems there.  I would be interested in the response you received from them.  The last e-mail communication I had with the Commissioners included a response from the staff that it would be "faster" to contact the Police directly than to inform the elected officials.  I'd like to know your take on that.
So far over the past few weeks I have not witnessed anyone actually sleeping or trespassing at 431. And while the individual and the "ladies" are often haning around I do not know that I would be able to tell the police that they were breaking the law. But if I do I will call the police at the drop of the hat, and let you know the results.