Sunday, July 20, 2008

Slideshow: Lake Worth Playhouse Production of "Hair"



What a fun night it was! There are still a lot of chances to see "Hair" before its last performance on August 9. I'd highly recommend it.

Many thoughts ran through my head all night as I enjoyed the performance. One was: What an ambitious show to put on for a community theater and during the summer months, too! It is a longer play than most - about three hours with an intermission between Acts 1 and 2. Most of the play consists of the full ensemble doing what amounts to a marathon of singing and dancing - all of them seem to be on stage for most of the play. The youthful cast was delightfully up to the challenge.

Speaking of youth, the play reminded me of my own. I happened to be in second grade when the play first made it to Broadway. For its day, it was very cutting edge and broke down many barriers in terms of what a play could deal with as content and how it could be performed. The cast, towards the end of the first act, even gets the chance to "let it all hang out", if you know what I mean. It also reminded me of how far we have come in social reform and civil rights since that time, but also a reminder of how far we have to go, as well.

Please try to see it. For more information on performance times, click here.

Excerpt from "Aquarius"

Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding.
No more falsehoods or derisions
Golden living dreams of visions
Mystic crystal revelation
And the minds true liberation.
Aquarius