Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Margaret Thatcher...


Being prime minister is a lonely job... you cannot lead from the crowd.

Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy.

I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.

I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that's not their job.

If my critics saw me walking over the Thames they would say it was because I couldn't swim.

It pays to know the enemy - not least because at some time you may have the opportunity to turn him into a friend.

What is success? I think it is a mixture of having a flair for the thing that you are doing; knowing that it is not enough, that you have got to have hard work and a certain sense of purpose.