Sunday, October 6, 2013

Glassworks, foundry would anchor Lake Worth’s art district |

This is a great project and will help to solidify the city's arts branding efforts. It also blends well with our historic profile as it represents part of the boom period from the 1920s. This was an FEC warehouse that was to be used to store building materials - making the boom possible. However, the end of that era came soon after this depot was built. This is from the Lona O'Connor article and click title for link.
The warehouse, built in the 1920s, was a station on the FEC railroad line. In 1972, Dennis Thies and Bruce Mills bought the building and used it as a beer distribution center. They donated the building at 1105 Second Ave. S. to the city in 2011. Its appraised value at that time was $535,000.
The gift came with some costs, however. Removing it from the tax rolls costs the city about $3,000 a year in lost property taxes and assessments, based on collections for the 2010-11 budget year. It costs about $35,000 a year to maintain the warehouse.