Thursday, August 23, 2012

Entry for the "Phrase that Pays" contest - Best Commissioner McVoy Quotes:

Hi, Mr. Blackman. I would like to present my entry in the "Pick the Phrase That Pays, Commissioner McVoy Lecture contest."

I found this short, I know, odd having a short lecture from the professor, but a short lecture nonetheless about the seawall. This is from the 8/21/12 commission meeting. Mayor Pam Triolo had just finished her time and asked Commissioner McVoy if he had any comments. I know, like he is going to pass on a lecture! Anyhow, a building is almost finished, right next to the Atlantic Ocean, protected by a seawall, and without further delay, the professor chimes in...

McVoy: "Hmmm, well, I, I'm not in a position to, you know, I'm not a technical person on building things, so I'm not in any position to make a determination whether it's safe, whether the seawall is appropriate, I'm dependent on people who do repeatable [sic] studies. Hmmm. I think everyone in the community is, is very happy with the building. I don't think anybody is looking to spend more money, but, ahhhh, if we need to, if, I mean, ahh, we need to get some sort of an answer to put this to rest and make sure this is not a red herring, that's, that's just, you know, at this point the building is practically done, it is, I think everyone agrees, it's going to be an asset to the community. And, ahhh, let's move forward with that. If something structurally needs to be done with the seawall then let's get somebody competent to tell us that. And, ahhh, [pause] we'll deal."

We'll deal? Well, just color me stupid. shouldn't this have been dealt with, hmmm, like before they put the building there? McVoy wants, now, after the building is almost complete, now he wants to make sure the seawall isn't a "red herring" issue? Gee wiz, Captain Obvious! Is this thinking process an indictment of higher education? "To the cave, Batman!"

I picked this for my entry since I've been following the possible hurricane heading in our direction. I encourage everyone to go to the beach and check out the seawall. Think is was built in the fifties and looks that way. Also take a look at the old tunnel in the seawall, that wooden door with the padlock, now if that's not sustainable, I don't know what is. 

The Little Dutch Girle Little Dutch Boy