Monday, December 6, 2010

Announcement from Mayor Rene Varela:

Dear Friends, Family, and Supporters,

As most of you were instrumental in my initial desire to campaign for the office of mayor, I thought it best to write to you at this moment regarding an important recent decision that I have made. 

For the past several months Tanya and I have been faced with the troubling reality of her employer making poor business decisions and his worsening professional treatment of her. Rather than continuing to accept this treatment, I asked Tanya to begin seeking other employment. However, given her specialty and fairly high standing in her field, job openings in close proximity to Lake Worth were non-existent. Within the past two months, Tanya was courted by quite a few prospective employers and just three days ago, we decided on the one where Tanya will work... and we will eventually call home. As it turns out, this excellent opportunity will require us to move to Maryland. Tanya will begin working there within three months and I will follow her after I finish my term as Mayor and sell our home.

This of course means that I will not be seeking a second term as Mayor of the City that I love. And while this is a point of great disappointment for me, I will certainly be much more content placing my family first, within their proper place. While I may not have shown it at every moment in the past 13 months, I have the deepest admiration and respect for each of you and the residents of this City. The next 11 months will be spent by me making sure that I reengage with each of you and begin to force the much needed changes within our community/government, that up until now I have patiently shepparded. Now there won't be a moment to waste!

Tanya and I look forward to seeing each of you in the coming days and months to personally express our gratitude for the love, friendship, and trust that you have shown us.

Until then, I wish you all well.
  
Yours truly,

Rene'

Rene' A. Varela, MS, VMD, MPH