Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lake Worth - Let's save paper!

Click title for more information.

It has come to my attention that a certain Commissioner from District #3 routinely requests copies of documents from city files and archives. These are produced on regular city copy paper. Per standard operating procedure, all requested copies are then distributed to the four Commissioners and Mayor - and I suppose the City Manager would get a copy too and perhaps others in the administration. These amount to reams and reams of paper over time.

One of the drawbacks to paper documents is the need to painstakingly search for information. Paper is more time consuming to review and takes more effort to identify items that may be of particular interest. You can search electronic documents for keywords, etc.

Now, I am aware the city has a scanner and it should be one that is like a copier that can scan multiple sheets at a time. As such, 150 document pages can be reduced to one .pdf file and stored on a flash drive such as the ones below - I chose the "sushi" design as an example since I am a sushi fanatic. I currently carry a flash drive on my key chain so that when I am out and about I am able to carry many documents to and from with little inconvenience and little environmental impact.

Can we change the procedure so that these documents are provided in a digital - non-hard copy format? Please? I would think that Commissioner Golden would think this was a good idea and she should spearhead the effort.


This was sent to the Mayor, Commissioners, Laura Hannah and Pam Lopez.

Or, for those that like literal interpretations, I present a real "thumb" drive.
For those interested, this is what my actual flashdrive looks like: