Thursday, October 4, 2007

Midnight Induction - Lake Worth Kiwanis-style

Last Sunday night, err Monday morning, the Kiwanis folks gathered at the Cultural Square for induction of a new member - ME! Chet Taras is taking over the presidential reigns this year and October 1st represents the beginning of the Kiwanis year. Mayor Jeff Clemens was there and performed the midnight induction - he has moved up in the Kiwanis regional hierarchy now.

Anyway, a couple funny things to point out about the event. You see me there in my Sunday go-to-meeting clothes as I was expecting some kind of formal event and thinking others would be dressed similarly. Well, I guess I didn't get the memo. As people started to gather, it was apparent that the dress code was pajamas! We all had a good time and I would have been much more comfortable in P.J.'s, but hey it still worked and all.

Then, you notice that the clock isn't in the picture, although we were standing under it at midnight. Funny thing was the clock was an hour and fifteen minutes slow due to the city-wide power outage the night before. We were joking that we'd have to wait an hour and fifteen minutes more to get a picture of the clock at midnight. So, another Lake Worth moment.

I am looking forward to serving on Kiwanis - especially the reading program in the local elementary schools.