Thursday, September 14, 2006

Johnny and June Carter Cash

After about three lessons the voice teacher said, "Don't take voice lessons. Do it your way."
Johnny Cash

How well I have learned that there is no fence to sit on between heaven and hell. There is a deep, wide gulf, a chasm, and in that chasm is no place for any man.
Johnny Cash

I grew up in the '40s and I heard all these great speeches, like Winston Churchill. His most famous, or infamous commencement exercise speech was one that consisted of seven words. He stood before this graduating class and said: "Never, never, never, never give up."
Johnny Cash

If you can hold your listener, hold their attention, and you're sure you know what you're doing, and know that you're communicating - You know, performance is communicating. You've got to communicate. You've got a song you're singing from your gut, you want that audience to feel it in their gut.
Johnny Cash

The beast in me is caged by frail and fragile bars.
Johnny Cash

You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Johnny Cash

After you've listened to it, you'll feel like you know us a little bit better.
June Carter Cash

He's just like my father that way-my father just adored my mother and let her do whatever she wanted. John's like that. He's a very rare man, a very good man, and I've had a good life with him. I'm proud to be walking in the wake of Johnny's fame.
June Carter Cash

I was never looking back in regret. I never thought, Oh, why didn't I become an actress? or Why did I just go paddling along after John? I've always walked along right by his side, and he's always supported everything I do.
June Carter Cash

We always had Packards, until the war, when they stopped making them; then we had a Cadillac.
June Carter Cash

We never actually slept in the Packard, but we'd stay at these places called tourist homes. Then they got these wonderful things called motels.
June Carter Cash