Friday, January 1, 2016

State Senator Jeff Clemens responds to the new Senate seat boundaries

Here is a real good analysis from John Kennedy at the Post On Politics blog about the new Senate boundaries and the representation in Tallahassee. Jeff Clemens responded with this on Facebook:
     As expected, the courts have again tossed out the gerrymandered state Senate maps created by the Republican-led Legislature, and adopted one of the maps created by the League of Women Voters.
     For those who may be wondering, I plan to run for re-election where I live (strange concept, right?). Unfortunately, that may mean I would no longer represent West Palm Beach, Lake Park, Mangonia Park, Palm Beach and Riviera Beach. If so, I would be saddened to leave some of my favorite people behind. But rest assured I will continue to look out for all of those communities in Tallahassee.
     And I look forward to running for re-election this fall in the new district that now contains Delray Beach, Manalapan, Ocean Ridge, Gulf Stream and all of Boynton Beach (whereas before, I represented only part of the city), I will continue to represent Lake Worth, Lake Clarke Shores, Palm Springs, South Palm Beach, Greenacres, Atlantis, Lantana and Hypoluxo as I have for the past 6 years.
     I'm looking forward to getting to know new friends. Thanks for your support!
Like it or not, our state senator representing Lake Worth is our former mayor Jeff Clemens. There are still some hard feelings in the City over things he did and/or should have done. However, there are some crucial items coming up soon and we'll need our state senator doing what he's very good at: politics. You don't become a state senator by accident. It's about time to forget the past and focus on the future.

The issues we'll need his help with are dealing with the unscrupulous sober home operators, infrastructure such as the Park of Commerce, and the hugely important C-51 Canal boat lift.

In the video below, starting at the 3:35 mark, Senator Clemens talks about Gov. Scott's veto of the money for the City's Park of Commerce. That was a very sad day for us in Lake Worth.