Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Loretta Sharpe

Where to begin? I've known Loretta and her family for most of the years I have lived in Lake Worth. We sat on boards and committees together and she was never shy about expressing her views. I also knew her as the Realtor who helped me with the purchase of the house that I've lived in the past 15 years. She regularly made sure to extend an invitation to me for holiday dinners. Always the gracious host, she made you feel like part of the family. There were some years that I would have been alone otherwise. I will miss her early morning phone calls, especially during election season. We will always think of her involvement in our community. She cared deeply about Lake Worth and worked hard to make it a better place for everyone. My heart goes out to her remaining family. She will surely be missed by many.
When I learn the details so you can pay your respects I will provide that information. I just want to add a few more thoughts. It was an open secret that Loretta was very ill for some time. She moved from a house on South Palmway not too long ago and found another house in Lake Worth. I think I was in that house on Palmway about a hundred times. She loved Lake Worth and she never gave it a second thought to sit back and not stay involved in the things she cared for.

Loretta called people a lot. When your phone rang and it was Loretta calling one of two things was going to happen: either you were going to get yelled at or she was going to thank you for something. No one took getting yelled at personally because you knew where her heart was. On December 16th, just a little over a month ago, as ill as she was, she got up and went to the Joint Workshop with the Planning & Zoning Board. Even at her age and ill health she was a member of the City's Historic Resource Preservation Board. She gave all the effort she was able to right up to the very end.