Monday, September 21, 2015

Be very cautious when adopting a cat: was animal tested for feline leukemia?

Anyone who reads this blog knows I am not a fan of feral cats in south Florida. Cats have to be kept inside at all times and hope that is the intention of anyone who adopts a pet cat. Why? Feral cats are destroying the Florida habitat. In this last Saturday's Palm Beach Post was shocked to read this Letter to the Editor by Betty Taylor on another threat that feral cats pose, feline leukemia:
     I want to start this off by saying I am all for saving animals (“More than 200 animals find new homes at adoption event”; Sunday). I was one of, I am sure, several who went to the recent event to adopt/rescue a furry friend. I was looking for a kitty and walked around to several of the shelters, and there she was: the cutest little face. She stole my heart.
     I held her for a few minutes and just knew she was going to be a perfect fit to my kitty family. I then found out they do not do the critical testing for cats of HIV and feline leukemia. [emphasis added] I was smitten by this time, and said I would go ahead with the adoption and take her straight to my vet’s office and pay for the testing.
     I did speak with an agency veterinarian at the event, who told me they do not test. I do not understand: If the adoption agency does not test, and takes the animals out in such a public way, how are they not risking all the other animals?
     I went to my vet’s office, and my kitty tested positive for feline leukemia. So, not being able to risk my cats at home, I had to take her back to the event and leave heartbroken.
     I think events like this are great, but before any cat or dog is brought out in such a public way, they should be healthy.
BETTY TAYLOR, LAKE WORTH
Below is a video about feline leukemia; about the video:
Feline Leukemia is a deadly disease and once the cat is showing symptoms, they will die a slow death. The lucky ones are rescued and euthanized to stop their suffering. There are too many suffering cats. It needs to be stopped!!!
If you've never written a Letter to the Editor at the Post it is very easy; here are the instructions:
Send a letter to the editor: letters@pbpost.com (Letters are subject to editing and must include the writer’s name, address, e-mail address and daytime phone number. Preferred length is a maximum of 200 words.)