Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Beach Parking Meters

I went to the beach today and met a good friend for lunch at Benny's.
I parked in front of one of the self-service meters on the south end of the upper parking lot.  As soon as I approached the meter, the screen said that it was out of service.  So, I went to try another one in the middle of the parking lot, which "worked."  In the meantime, I counted three people that tried to put money in the other meter that I had just tried.  When I went back toward the car, near the meter that wasn't working, the screen no longer indicated that it wasn't in service.  So I am sure many will attempt to feed it until sometime in the future when it is fixed.  This being the day before the extended Thanksgiving Day weekend, that may be awhile.

I took the above picture right after I had put my money in the meter that was "working."  This was to show that I put in $1.25 and got the equivalent of 48 minutes.  Now, is the new rate $1.50 an hour or is it $1.25 an hour.  I think it's a $1.25 - someone please correct me if I am wrong.  I think the meters are set too slow so the meter's time is actually 15 minutes or so slower than the actual time.  For what it's worth, I got back to the car around 1:30 and there was no ticket.

(Apparently it is $1.50 an hour so there isn't trickery going on here, at least for now.  But see what lack of trust does to one's thinking?)

And we are buying more of these things?  And this is what we are relying on to support the financing for the rehabilitation project?