Thursday, July 30, 2009

Critical Mass, disruptive mobilizations and environmental awareness

Click title for link. Reference is made to Critical Mass, a group of bikers that organize instantaneous mass demonstrations which snarl traffic to bring awareness to alternate modes of transportation. An excerpt from the article:
I’ve been studying transnational social movements for about a decade, and in my research I have found one of the most used strategies ENGOs tend to use is public protest. I’ve been fascinated by some organizations’ choice of disruptive techniques not because I think they are particularly effective but because I always wonder its effectiveness. In my research, I have found that many ENGOs that use lobbying, letter-writing, sitting on intergovernmental panels and providing advice as influencing strategies are much more effective than disruption.