Friday, August 29, 2008

Lake Worth Auditorium Pic from early 1960s

See message below regarding a visit to the Lake Worth Museum:

Wes:

It is fine to use that photo I sent to you. I will plan to make you a DVD of the entire presentation when we get it completed. I took your advice and visited the museum this morning. I was greeted by Beverly Mustaine who apparently is the curator (or at least employee) – the only employee. At first she told me she would have to charge me for any photos I wanted. I brought my digital camera in hopes of taking a picture of a picture – if one was to be found. After I showed her my scrap book for our church and some of the early photos – she became friendlier and allowed me to take a photo of the auditorium (which is attached).

She also informed me that the museum was being closed the first October – and that she was being laid off. She apparently knows you and seemed to be surprised that you had a collection of photos.

I was surprised there is not a Historical Society in Lake Worth. Since I am no longer a resident of Lake Worth – I guess I would have no influence, but I’m just very surprised that the city is not going to take care of its historical collection and that some group is not coming forth to save/preserve what is there.

Thanks,

Thanks , that's a great picture and I especially like the sign. Yes, I have heard that the museum was threatened with closure - however, I thought there was some question regarding it. From what Beverly said, it sounds like it is more of a sure thing. That concerns me. We do have the Historical Society of Palm Beach County and they recently opened a museum in the 1916 courthouse that was just restored in West Palm Beach. They would have the ability to store and have Lake Worth items available for review and study, but it would be nice to keep it in Lake Worth. I'll do some snooping and see what I am able to find out.

Yes, I know Beverly - I used to live near-by her and would see her walk to work everyday. She did some research for me on owners of my current home, which I found fascinating!

Have a good weekend and good luck with your project. Let me know if there is something else I can help you with.

Wes Blackman