Tuesday, July 22, 2008

E-mail from a new reader...

Received July 20th:
Mr. Blackman;
I came acroos your blog while searching for info on why my LWU bill has again jumped apprx. 50% in the last 2 months.
The only hits I found were about the last time this happened, was it 2006? Maybe, hopefully, you could shed some light on this? I and my family would certainly appreciate any thing you might tell us? We survive here on my wifes paycheck and my meager SSD, and the electric alone is eating-up my check1
Regards 431....you should be made aware that the "vagrants" have again forced-open the back door of the rear cottage on the property. The perps in this instance are often seen "partying" in the yard directly south, and as witnessed by myself when walking my four dog's, throw their trash right over the fence onto the 431 yard [faceing "L" St.].
I've been watching these ppl. for 12 yrs. now, and it seems no matter what the City does, the same ppl. remain, doing the same things..using the vacant property to sleep, do drugs [I've seen syringes in the alley & yard], and generally trash the property. You never see these ppl. on the street, they prefer walking the alley's, while scoping-out who and what to rip-off next.
Anything you can do to help remedy this would be great,
Thank You for what you've already done,
Sincerely,
John
resident/prop. owner

My response July 20th:
John,

First of all, thanks for dropping by and checking out my blog. Many people find it while looking for something else - such is the power of Internet search engines. I hope you come back and check to see what's going on in Lake Worth - at least my view of it - from time to time.

I wish I could be more encouraging about our electric/utility picture. If I recall correctly, there is/was a fuel adjustment charge increase planned for July. So, if that is the case, then the increases that you have experienced recently are probably more from the amount of electricity and water that you are using. One recent improvement the city started is allowing you to monitor your utility account on-through the city's website. You'll need your account and meter number (I think) which you can find on your utility bill. Besides the possibility of paying your bill on-line, you will also be able to see how much electricity and water you have used over the past year. If your usage is down, then maybe the unit price increase went into effect already. Here's the link to the city's website if your interested in checking that out. www.lakeworth.org

As you know, reliability is a factor as well and much of the bond issue to support the re-do of our distribution system has gone for the ill-fated reverse osmosis water project. Let's hope that can get back on track without the need for another bond issue to fund it.

I'm sorry for what everyone living around 431 N. L street has had to endure - during it's existence under the previous owner and now as a vacant building owned by the City. From a historic point of view, the outbuilding can and should be torn down. The city treats plywood as if it were gold and hasn't protected the outbuilding like they did the main building. A little over a year ago, the city tore down the structure at 431 N K. Street. That property was taken by City through nuisance abatement action when I was on the Planning and Zoning Board. At least there is not a structure there to house "vagrants", but the city could do more with improving the lot that was left vacant after the demolition.

I'd like to see the N. L Street property return to private ownership and require that it be returned to the original four unit design. Proper and sensitive restoration, along with landscaping improvements, would really make it a stand-out property. I know some people that are interested in making that happen - now the city has to make the decision to get rid of the property for that purpose. If they don't make that decision, I am afraid that eventually the City will end up demolishing the larger structure too. That would be a loss.

Anyway, thanks again for reading my blog. I'd like the permission to use your original e-mail in a post on the blog.

Have a good rest of the weekend!

Wes Blackman

Received today:
sir;
thanks for the quick reply and links for info, they are of some help.
pls. feel free to use my E, no problem, though i would choose to remain anonymous to the neighborhood.
The cottage IS in fact well boarded-up, for now, though I'll be checking on a reguler basis, as it has a significant impact on our block.
We had another break-in last week...410/12 North K, just another in a series of small-item thefts', probably for drugs, and again, the traffic in the alley-ways far out-paces that of the streets'.....how can the police NOT check these ppl. out?
Oh well, life in L.W.
thanks again,
later,
John