Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Good Omen...

On Friday, I paused for a moment when I saw some twigs on top of my mailbox. It happens to be mounted just to the left of the front door, below the front porch light. Well, I looked above and saw the makings of a nest! This morning I caught the Mourning Dove there as I came out the door with the dogs for our morning constitutional.

This from WOFS.com, the first on-line fung shui magazine (click title for link),
"most things associated with birds tend to spell good fortune, such as when birds fly to your home and start making nests in and around your house. While bats bring abundance, birds bring good news and opportunities. The next time a flock of ravens, pigeons or magpies come to your home, feed them with bird seeds. Birds are also said to be powerful protectors and guardians. Even crows are said to be messengers of the Gods. So welcome birds with open arms."
There are other memorable bird messages and symbols in my life. The day that I left Michigan, as I walked down the sidewalk to my car loaded with things to take to Florida, I spotted a dead Robin in my front lawn. That always said to me that I wasn't meant to come back to live in Michigan - the Robin is the state bird.

My mother loved to see Cardinals in the yard and would make an effort to point them out whenever she saw them. She grew up in the State of Ohio whose state bird is the Cardinal. Upon her death, we decided to have a Cardinal etched in her gravestone. On the stone, the Cardinal is resting on a White Pine, the state tree of Michigan - which is where she spent most of her adult life. Now, whenever I see a Cardinal, I think of her.

Probably too much information, but never forget to look for clues and symbols from nature in our everyday life, they can serve as powerful reminders or confirmations.