Sunday, January 6, 2008

So long Sharon...

If you read the Palm Beach Post today in the local section, you discovered that Sharon Jackson was released from her City of Lake Worth duties on Friday. She was the main staff support for planning and zoning issues for the City. In the article, Mayor Clemens acknowledges that the department was shorthanded (an understatement for a city the size of Lake Worth). I was surprised to hear that they have a replacement ready to start on Monday morning. Anyone think about a national search?

I am not sure if most of you are aware but Sharon and I go way back to when I first moved here. Back in 1989, I moved to Florida and worked for the City of West Palm Beach - in their Planning Department. Sharon was a senior planner in the department and during my time with the City - almost four years - we worked on many projects together. Our career paths then went their separate ways, only to cross again in Lake Worth during my tenure as Chairman of the Planning, Zoning and Historic Resource Preservation Board. I even interviewed for the position of Planning director for the City when Ed Breese left. When I applied, there was only one applicant for the position and Paul Boyer was about to offer the position to me. I encouraged him to go back out and find additional qualified people. My goal was to make sure we had the best Planning Director possible - and how would we know if I was the only one who interviewed for the position. And, besides that, it just didn't look right.

So Paul Boyer chose Sharon and the rest is history. I am glad things worked out the way that they did as it allowed me to establish my own planning practice and, had I been chosen as the city's planning director, would not have had the opportunity to run for the City Commission seat last March.

Things are meant to happen for a reason and I am sure that Sharon will be fine. In fact, someone just left a message for me that they have some opportunities that may interest her. As far as the City's new planning director - I do not know Marc LaFerrier and have not had many projects in Broward County or Ft. Lauderdale where other people I know many know him. Again, I hope that the City ended up with the best planner they could find - but was he the only one considered? In any case, good luck Mr. LaFerrier!

And, to Sharon, may you have good luck and success in in all your future endeavors.