Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Notes and Updates...

Got some good news to report. First of all, I'd like to let you all know that this blog is getting visited! According to Jim Stafford of LakeWorthTalk.com, this site ranks as the third highest in referrals to his site - behind those that log in directly (bookmarked) and second are those that come from Google searches. I don't have tracking software on this blog, but that means that over 200 people visit my site and then go to Lake Worth Talk - this over a period of a week. Interesting. So, my words are getting out and hope that in the process you are getting to know me better.

To catch up on some other happenings, I attended last Friday night's meeting concerning the selection of an interim City Manager by the City Commission. The chambers were noticeably empty of the usual attendees - perhaps they were listening at home on the Internet? The Commission selected Robert Baldwin who is City Manager for Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. He has a clause in his contract that allows him to consult with other cities for 10 months out of a year and he is going to use that to help us out in the interim. Meanwhile, Colin Baesinger is advertising for the permanent position and the Commission approved an advertisement. Colin thinks that by mid-April, the City will be ready to appoint a new City Manager. So, we are off to the races. Let's hope that he yields a lot of qualified applicants.

I also attended yesterday's Commission workshop regarding the Town of Jupiter's Day Labor Center. It was a presentation put on by Jupiter's Town Manager - now there is someone with the skills we need. If we are able to get applicants like him for our City Manager position, we really will be on our way to a new Lake Worth. The Day Labor Center concept is something we definitely need to look at and this was a good first step.

And it should be noted that neither of my opponents for the District #3 race were in attendance at either meeting.

Over the weekend, I worked at the book sale held by the Friends of the Lake Worth Library on Saturday. Co-chairs of the even were June Evans and Drew Martin. Yes, that's right. It's nice to know that even though we are running against each other in the Commission race that it's still possible to volunteer for the betterment of the community. Thanks Drew and June for the opportunity to help.

I am also walking neighborhoods now and on Sunday, Jim and Jo Ann Kelly helped out with part of the southeast part of the City. Thanks guys.

As you know, I have my hand-bills now and lapel stickers came in today. Tomorrow I expect to receive my lawn signs and I will give you updates when they come in for sure.

Last night, I participated in the candidate debate held by the Bryant Park Neighborhood Association. It was at the Chamber of Commerce building - on the patio. The temperature might have been in the 50s out there. Thanks to everyone who worked to put on the debate and those that took time out of their schedules to attend. The format concerned me when I first learned about it, but it went o.k. after all and I hope that the other forums can use the same format - 1 min for introduction, 5 minutes total to answer questions (they held up cards to let you know where you were in your time budget as you answered questions) and 1 minute to close. It went well and this was the first time all of the candidates were assembled together to address the issues facing the City. I was a little disappointed in the general nature of the PB Post article today, but there will be others. We will also each be interviewed by the PB Post's editorial staff prior to their endorsement.

That's all for now. The next forum will be next Thursday at Brogue's - that one is being put on by the Lake Worth Democratic Club and is for Commission candidates only. They will be having one in March for the Mayoral race.

Thanks again for coming to visit my blog! Remember, you can respond here to a post. You can also e-mail me at wesblackman@gmail.com

Remember, check "Wes" on March 13th!!

"Political advertisement paid for and approved by Wes Blackman for Commissioner – District #3"